Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The First Day of School


I'm entering a new phase of life: All my kids are at school all day. It's nice, but very different. I realized that I haven't had any alone time for the last eleven years unless a babysitter made it possible. So, now I have 7 hours a day to myself.
Today I went to Panera and drank tea and read a book after dropping off the kids, and then grocery shopping, and the Bank, and prayer at church. It was great to take my time, and have peace, but I don't talk much by myself. I have to remember to sing to keep my voice from getting croaky. I heard another mom talking to her toddler in the store, and I realized that usually that's me doing the talking. This not talking thing is kind of a surprise.
The kids did fine on their first day. Sam was pretty reluctant, but we went to "Meet your teacher night" on Monday, so he got to see his room and meet the teacher. That helped make him less worried about Kidnergarten. On Tuesday morning, we went to school with Chrissa down the street, also K, and her mom. (See photo) She is Sam's friend, and was in his class too, fortunately. As I left, I realized that there are these portholes in the wall to Sam's class where the worried parents can observe their little darling secretly. I took photos so you can get the feeling too. You can see Sam and Chrissa at their table if you look carefully.
Madeline and Abby are getting used to their new teachers. Abby's is more strict than last years, so that's different. Madeline has a nice group of teachers too, and she moves from subject to subject in different classes. Good practice for next year.
Of course I had to document the sweaty, hot, tired, hungry children as they disembarked from the bus at the end of the day. They'll be riding the bus both ways. Sam said the bus is his favorite part of the day.















6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Heidi! These are wonderful pictures! I love seeing Sam in school (those portholes are a great idea!) and everyone looks so cute in their uniform. I looks like they all had a good first day!

I know what you mean about not talking... it's sure different! Maybe you'll be one of those people who talk to themself!
Thanks for the post!

Gretchen said...

Heidi, these are great pictures! I love seeing sam all happy with a paper in his hand! He looks so grown up. =0)
I love Abby's new haircut also!

Erin said...

It's so fun to see these pictures! I love the difference between the beginning and end of the day. It's cute to see Sam all dressed up and "ready for Kindergarten and for work." :) I'm glad you have some time to do things on your own now - nice, but a big change I'm sure!

Anonymous said...

Yea, so glad you're posting again! Are the uniforms new for your public school? I remember when Carden went to uniforms. It was wonderful! It instantly made everyone from different backgrounds on even ground. And as as teacher, I could say, "Little boy with the white shirt, stop it!" and 10 would would stop what they were doing! :-)
Love, Aunt Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Hi DeHarts. What fun pictures. Can't hardly believe Robin and I will be in Texas two weeks from today. It is hot and humid this week and maybe into next week. Feels like Texas! Love, Dad

Heidi said...

Thanks for looking, everyone. Yes, the uniforms are new this year. Our school is trying it out, and if everyone likes it, the whole district will go with uniforms next year. We like it. Old Navy had some cute ones for the girls.