Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Some Good Books

I found a mystery series that I'm enjoying. It's called the Dame Frevisse Medieval Mystery series, by Margaret Frazer. The main character is a Benedictine nun. They are set in medieval England in the 1400's. Besides great writing and character development, I'm enjoying the prayers that Dame Frevisse thinks about through out her day. It's almost like reading a devotional sometimes. Each story takes place in a different realm of medieval society, so I'm learning a lot about that culture. Anyway, I highly recommend these books.

The other series I'm enjoying is the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith. I've read most of them, and when I'm in the mood for Africa instead of medieval England, I just switch books. His other series, The Sunday Philosophy Club, and The Portuguese Irregular Verb books are also very good. I love the fact that one Scottish author can write so personally about Botswana, Scotland, and Germany. Each series has its own feeling; the characters are different from each other, but the things that make Alexander McCall Smith good are there in each one. One theme in all three series is what it means to be an individual as part of a larger community. He also does a great job of exploring moral choices in relationships, and the dynamics of relationships in general.

Portuguese Irregular Verbs is the funniest little three volume set. It describes the misguided exploits of a relationally clueless bachelor German professor. He is always getting into embarrassing situations, but half the time he’s not quite aware of it. Everyone around him is responding appropriately, but he thinks they’re the ones with the problem. When he is aware of his relational mistakes, he is in agony trying to fix the problem, which usually leads to more problems. They are fun reading.

Last but not least, I started a new Beth Moore bible study last night called “Believing God.” In her opening lecture, Beth talked about the gap between our theology and our reality. She said that faith, or believing God, is the bridge that crosses that gap, and connects our theology and reality into an authentic experience. I was so blessed by the last study I did, and I’m looking forward to this one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi dearest Heidi. Your blog is really attractive! I so enjoy reading what is interesting you. You three all write so well. I learned long ago that the best writing is to write like you talk. You do that well!. Any your intellectual bent sure comes from those Seelye genes. I think you get some humor genes from the Cox gene pool. Anyway, Erin is in labor as I type. Exciting days for the Barnes. Erin said earlier this week that she was "waiting for the other shoe to drop'. Well it's dropping. So glad you guys are near to be a sourse of wisdom and support. Love you and yours. Dad

Heidi said...

Don't underestimate your smart Cox genes too much, Dad. You always say you were educated beyond your ability, but I'm a product of the mix of Cox and Seelye, and back and back from generation to generation, Amen. Love You too. Heidi

ShackelMom said...

Thanks for the book reviews, I am always looking for new, good authors! We both love the # 1 Detective Agency books! I want to read the ones in the Sunday Philiosphy Club. I got Irregular Portuguese Verbs and and not sure I want to spend for the next two... but appreciated your comments! :-) Socially clueless, but so aware of gammatical implications!

Heidi said...

I'm not sure I'd buy the PIV books either, but they were great for library check out. Which of course you can't do...I hope you are able to get your hands on the Sunday series.