Friday, January 11, 2008

Simmering Down

The holidays are over, our house guests are gone, and everyone is back in school. This week I enjoyed getting the house back into order, and relaxing. I love having family (Dan and Jacquie DeHart and our friend Wendy) stay with us, and I love having everyone home for the Christmas break. But I also appreciate the structure of the schedule when we go back to it.

During the last week our church hosted a big conference at the UNT basketball stadium. I had fun working in the concession stand on Thursday and Friday for four hours each. I always laugh to realize anew what a people person I am. I love helping people get what they need, and the pressure doesn't bother me. It reminded me of when I used to help Aunt Gretchen sell rubber stamps in college. This time I was selling coffee and snacks. But the same rush of people. In return, the church gave me and the other volunteers a $50 gift certificate to the GOZ store, and the new worship CD. I felt more than compensated for my time and effort.

I'm enjoying our new car, and so is William. At the dealership, we had a choice between a 4-cylinder model, and the 6-cylinder super fancy model. I convinced him that the price difference wasn't enough to justify getting less car, so we got the really nice one. He's glad he listened to me as we zoom along at 85 mph with little engine effort. It's definitely the nicest car I've ever owned.

We are looking forward to my parents and Gretchen and Anders' visit in February. We are going to go to my cousin Chad's wedding, and have BBQ at a great place we just discovered, among other things.

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

I can't wait to see you guys too! I'm glad you guys have such a nice car now. No more "pull through" parking spaces.. =0)

Anonymous said...

Nothing quite like a new car. Especially if it loafs along at 85. Um, er, well that is terrific. We can loaf along at 75 but no way can get up to 85. But, then. Texas is Texas and not so many cars or the congestion. Or maybe CHP guys.
All is well here, gearing up for a couple of TGT gigs in February. Fun.

Abuelo

Anonymous said...

Morning Heidi. Glad I checked you blog this morning. Fun to hear you and William are enjoying the newer car. It is always fun when I get into the '07 Ridgeline. Sooooo many years we drove older cars. Upgrades are quite nice. Looking forward to being with the DeHarts and Barnes in February. We are renting a car so we can get to the wedding events and be flexible during our week in Texas. See you on Feb. 8. Love you. Dad

Will De Hart said...

I did loaf at 85 coming home one day.I told Heidi all about it. About 5 cars were barging down the freeway, and I let them pass me by. Then I thought, "Hey, I'm going to follow them for a few miles." We did about 85 the whole time. Then I thought, "Well, no sense getting a ticket." I keep it clocked at 72, as a general tick avoiding speed. I've found that if you do 72 in the fast lane, everyone gets upset. So I get over. The other day this F350 came up on me blazin' trail. I thought, "Go get'em buddy!" So I let him go. Four miles down the fwy
he had the local sheriff to talk to .