Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Our brush with greatness


Today Will and I went bowling with some people from our church. I should say, Will went bowling, and I went along for fun. We got there about 1/2 hour early, and with time to kill we sat down to watch the other bowlers while we waited. There was a nice family there; mom, dad, two little boys, and an uncle or something. As we idly watched, we began to notice that these two men were bowling strike after strike. It was effortless, and the norm. I was sitting there in my bowling cluelessness saying, "Man, these guys are good!" The balls were seemingly floating down the lane, almost making no noise as they touched the ground. I was very impressed.

Our friend came in the door, and as he walked up to us he said quietly, "Hey, that's Chris Barnes." Who?? It turns out he's a world class bowler who won about $700,000 bowling last year.  And not only that, his wife (sitting there watching them) is the top woman bowler in the world right now. Oh. That explains the 30 balls they had with them. It seemed like overkill. But I guess if bowling is your life, it's really not. 

So, we had our brush with greatness today. Thank heavens someone told us. We might have missed it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up we use to watch professional bowling. The bowlers looked white-untanned due to their indoor passion. The ultimate was to bowl a perfect game of 300. A rare feat. It will fun to see what William averages when he has bowled a lot of games. Love you. D & R

Gretchen said...

So funny!