Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Thank you Cesar

Lately...We had a great Thanksgiving. We invited a family in our neighborhood who have three kids who are friends with our kids, and we've enjoyed getting to know the parents in the process. We also invited an older couple from our church who don't have family in town. It was fun to have a minor houseful of people, and enjoy new relationships over the table. I haven't had as many large group hospitality opportunities since we've moved to Texas, so I felt a bit rusty getting ready, but everything went off without a hitch, and we all had a great time.

We enjoyed vegging out the rest of the weekend, and today back at work I felt rested and ready to do my job. In fact, everyone at the office was quite chipper. I think the holiday did us all good.

I'm anticipating our trip to CA in 19 days. It will be so fun to see all our family there, and enjoy Christmas as part of the bigger group. We've enjoyed our quiet Christmases for the last two years, and are ready for a wild litany of gatherings.

We checked out The Dog Whisperer on DVD from the library, and have been watching Cesar in action. It's a crack up how the people project so much onto their dogs; I know we do the same with Dolce. (Just see her blog; it's an extreme example of owner projection.) So I've been thinking about exuding "calm assertive energy," especially with my children. My children know when I don't believe in what I'm telling them to do, and my own ambivalence undermines my authority. So, I'm thinking about parenting, thanks to Cesar Milan.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Hi dear, I'm glad to hear that your Thanksgiving party went well an you had time to rest! Can't wait for you all to arrive for your "wild litany" around here... so fun!

I really like watching the Dog Whisperer too and agree that it's sure to be helpful with kids too. It's always good to get some new input!
Love you...
Momma

Gretchen said...

Oh, we love the Dog Whisperer too!
I'm glad you guys had a good Thanksgiving and we can't wait to see you in such a short time!!