Sunday, February 14, 2010

Five Day Weekend and Disneyland tickets

I love living in Texas. We had snow on Thursday, and below freezing temps on Friday, so the kids and I were home both days. If it were to snow in California, the reaction would be the same...no snow plows, so no one wants to drive. Here, it actually does snow, so we get to have a holiday or two. Here is a movie from our little crafting event on Thursday, thanks to the candy making kit that Grandma DeHart sent us. It took us about 20 minutes, and the rest of the day the kids played outside, watched movies, ate, read and relax. We also got a good one of the dogs freaking out about the snow.




We're planning a road trip to California this July, and I really wanted to take the kids to Disneyland. However, when Will sensibly pointed out that we'd be using a third of our budget in one day, I agreed that it didn't make much sense. However, I went to the Disney website to see if they had any deals, and I discovered the "Give a Day, Get a Day" program. You volunteer for a day, and earn a ticket to either Disneyland, or Disney World.

Last weekend, we went down to Fort Worth to volunteer. We worked with Project Linus, a charity that makes and gives blankets to kids in traumatic situations. I brought my sewing machine so I was able to put together about 7 blankets. We worked for four hours, and walah! Disney tickets are ours. It was fun for our family to volunteer together, and definitely worth the tickets.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the "Give a Day, Get a Day" idea! Does that work anywhere in the US? What a great experience for the kids to do charity work as well. We are looking forward to spending a few days with you & your family in Yosemite!
Aunt G

Grandma Seelye said...

Wow! What a deal! So clever of you to discover it! and such a worthwhile project! We're looking forward to seeing you! Love you

Heidi said...

Hi Aunt G,

Yes, it works anywhere, for either Disneyland or Disney World. They're trying to encourage 1 million people to volunteer.

I'm looking forward to spending time in Yosemite with you too! Can't wait. :-)

David Cox said...

What a great and varied blog you did for us Heidi! Thank you so much! Fun to see the dogs have their very own snow day. And great work on the blankets! Love you all. Dad

Robin said...

Wow, I love seeing the candy making, the dogs zipping around and all the blanket makings! And I love seeing the kids in action. Everyone looks so good... :-) See you in a few weeks!
Love you....
Mom