Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of School

Its that time of year again! This year we've got one child at each school. Sam's in 4th, Abbie is in 7th, and Madeline's in 9th. The schools start about 30 minutes apart; without the buses I'd be driving all morning! Thankfully the bus stops right around the corner.

Sam wanted me to walk with him and go a bit early so that he could play at the little park for a minute. Abbie didn't want me to come at all, even though I promised to kiss her at home and just hold her hand while we walked. Madeline wanted me to drive her the 2 blocks because her backpack was super heavy and she was a bundle of nerves. So I did the sending off three different ways. To each his own.

Then I went back home to enjoy my Monday alone. First one in three months. I loaded the dishwasher, moved some laundry....and went back to bed. I slept soundly until 11 am, and woke up feeling great! What a luxury.

At noon I left the house to run errands and had a lovely time wandering around Target for a few items. Then, fortified by a large iced tea, I came home and cleaned (including dusting) the livingroom.

Pretty soon everyone began getting home and it was all about snacks and school stories. Will only had 3 kids in his class....Sam's teacher doesn't yell and is strict about the rules....Abbie had a big schedule drama that meant she'd have to eat with the 8th graders (that'll get fixed)....and Madeline was able to visit her locker between classes and didn't have to carry all her books at one. It was a good day; the beginning of a good year.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

5 comments:

Grandma Seelye said...

Thank you for such a great report of the first day of school!! Felt like I was at your kitchen table hearing it first hand! Does Will expect to have more kids? Love you.

Gretchen said...

So glad the first day went well for everyone! Thank you for the update and tell the kids that I'm rooting for them! =0)

Mom said...

The beginning of school is so momentous... I love hearing about the details. Glad you had a lovely day at home. Sounds perfect.
Love you all...

Anonymous said...

Dear Heidi. You write like you talk! That's the best way! I can almost hear your voice. And let's hope Will gets some more kids. Love and hugs to all five of you. We still have fond memories of our time with your precious ones. And it was nice to hear that you recharged your batteries. Love, Dad

Great Aunt Gretchen said...

The first day can be so traumatic, especially with lockers! Glad it went so well. :)