Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Aging and Growing Up

I've been thinking about aging, and the passing of time, and the kids growing up lately. It started off when I was in Barnes and Noble, and in the background they were playing a Cure song off the "Kiss me, Kiss me" album. That was the theme album of my summer before 9th grade, and it was definately edgy then. So of course I had to reflect on the fact that it is basically Muzak now, and how wierd that I have all these memories built with the Cure as the soundtrack. And, again, I am aware that I must be the target audience for that background music. Just like those Honda Odyssey advertisments. If you do the math, I am exactly the target for those too. And, scarily, I'd like a Honda Odyssey. I'm feeling a little too predictable.

We passed a major milestone this week. I have been addicted to Sam having a number of pacifiers for bedtime. Yes, I know, he's way too old for a pacifier. But I've never taken them away because of my own need for him to have one. So, it was time for both of us to go off cold turkey. I decided to do what the Dollars did with Justin. He was allowed to "buy a toy" with his pacifier. I found a Thomas DVD with Percy engine attached; a very desireable aquisition. Sam was all excited about buying a Thomas video with his pacifiers. We gathered up all the ones we could find, put them in a baggie, and took them down to Hollywood Video. Incidentally, they all know me by first name-I'm there so much-Is it a bad thing? So, the girl behind the counter was happy to play along. Sam handed over the baggie solomnly, and it was over.

The first night he was sad, and cried some. He took Percy engine to bed with him, although it was small consolation for the artificial suckle. But he eventually fell to sleep. Last night was better, and I think tonight will be fine. Incidentally, his very chapped lips are also healing up.

So, we have crossed the potty training milestone, and the pacifier milestone. Just in time for his June 4 year old birthday. Heh Heh. I feel a sense of freedom, as my life slowly becomes less complicated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! What a great idea. Thanks for telling us about it!

Gretchen said...

OHHHHH how cute and pitiful! I have tears in my eyes reading this! I love this story Heidi. As Erin would say... "twoahhhhhh". I can't quite capture the effect by just writing it!

DaveShack said...

That's a great idea, Heidi. I've sort of been bummed that none of my kids ever took to their thumbs or pacifiers that much. It meant that it was nursing or nothing when they were upset or kvetchy before sleep, which is not ideal.

And you are so right about the demographic creeping up on us. I think it's so funny to hear stuff from the late 80's on classic rock stations now. Like the Eagles and then Billy Idol. In 1985 those wouldn't have ever played on the same station.... And I've heard a lot of curious Muzak conversions....

But what's really cool are the mashups that are coming out. A recent favorite was a mix of Blondie with the Doors called "Rapture Riders". Another was a mash of Bjork's song "Hidden Place" with the Cure's "The Forest." Both were perfect, both in nostalgia and newness. Weird to hear songs for the first time that are also old favorites.