Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Little Chess

Years ago, William taught me how to play chess. We played a lot, and I learned the basics. I finally stopped playing, though, because I never won. I am not very competative, but when my only experience of chess was losing, it just got a little old. The question was, "Do I feel like losing a game tonight?" rather than, "Do I feel like playing a game tonight?" I realized that I simply had no concept of how to go on the offensive and win. I could only defend until the inevitable end.

Lately, William and the girls have been playing after dinner. He keeps asking me to play too, but until last night I held out. As we played, I experienced anew the fresh experience of Chess with William.


Last night I actually gave him a run for his money. But I was helped immensely by the fact that twice during the game I was clued into his errors by his audible gasp as he realized his mistakes. (Nor did I let him take back the moves...What is chess anyway, but an exploitation of your opponent's errors?) I spent a couple of minutes figuring out what he saw, and for a while I was definately ahead. We played a pretty even game, but he finally did win. We each had a pawn and king on the board. This first photo is what William looked like upon his victory. He actually thought he'd lose, so his joy and delight were even more pronounced. In this next photo, he is showing Madeline (and Abigail, but not fully clothed) exactly what peices were left on the board before his luck turned around. Here are some quotes, "I have never won a game from that far down!" "Ha ha ha ha ha!" "Heh heh heh". I actually wrote them down because it was so over the top. There were others, equally colorful, which I could't capture in time. So, we had some excitement.



























It actually ended up being fun, even if I did lose. I might continue for a while, and maybe I'll beat him sometime. I'll let you know.

6 comments:

Erin said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! I love the direct quotes.... :)

Gretchen said...

Oh Heidi, that is totally fun! I hope you can win. It sounds like you have a good stratagy!

Daniel Shackelford said...

Give him heck Heidi! That is a victory smile that just cries for defeat!

A little japanese to go with your future win:

OREWA OMAE NI KATSU!

I hear that phrase is not exactly polite, so you might confine it to your victory dance in the privacy of your home. It means "I will be the one to defeat you!". Other phrases that I know are not nearly so polite.

Nathan said...

We've been playing some chess too. Ellie is getting it down pretty well and we enjoy it. There's usually no victory dance here, but I am glad that I can outwit a sharp 7 seven year old.

Unknown said...

I agree with Daniel-- the look on his face says, "Please, let someone take me down. The victory is too much for me to handle. Help!" Plus, your girls could really benefit from seeing Mom kick Dad's butt in a game or two. Not that I'm competetive or anything...

Heidi said...

Madeline wins against Abby, and Will wins against me, so when I played with Abby today she took note of the fact that we are the ones who lose. I think she was feeling some solidarity. It was good practice, and I got to hone my "capture the king" skills. Last night I got William to explain the method of getting the king. Like how do I look at the board in order to win? It was quite helpful. I'm enjoying the game more each time I play. It's kind of a luxury to sit down and not think about housework or the kids or duties for awhile. I felt the same thing when I was crocheting some scarves. Will thinks that I might win with a little more practice. We'll see.