Friday, October 26, 2007

Bacon Bits

I was very surprised this morning when I went out to take the kids to the bus stop to see ICE on our van windows. I had no idea we were going to hit freezing tempuratures this fast. Especially since last week we were in the 80's. My thin summer blood is slowly thickening up. The leaves on our oak tree turned red overnight, and I'm being hit with an urge to bake. I think its safe to say that fall is here.
A couple of Saturdays ago Madeline came out of her bedroom, saw Will and I finishing up some bacon, and said sadly, "I want some bacon too!" I responded, tenderly, "I'm so sorry honey, there were only seven pieces." But then I realized how rediculous that sounded. Only seven? William sheepishly said, "Actually, there were nine." I couldn't stop laughing, and Madeline was sitting there with a confused look on her face, trying to figure out what was so funny. You'd think that nine peices of bacon would keep a family of five at least slightly satisfied for bacon. But, that day, it didn't. Will and I now repeat the line "I'm so sorry honey, there were only seven peices of bacon" when things seem a little out of balance around here.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Heidi that is so funny. I especially love the picture of Madeline. That look says it all! =0)

Unknown said...

Very funny. I love when we blurt something out matter-of-factly, and then realize that it's actually pretty unreasonable-- somehow our perspective gets a little skewed, and we catch ourselves in the act!

Anonymous said...

Tell Madeline that when Grandpa comes in Feb. he will buy her gobs of bacon! Stay warm. Love, Grandpa. ps see if Will will let the kids raise a few pigs in the back yard. That will solve the problem :-).