Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I Got A Job!

About six weeks ago, the girl in charge of the children's ministry at our church told me she was going to be needing an assistant to take care of the nursery. She thought of me right away, since we've worked together well on that before. So, I've been all excited for a while now.

In the meanwhile, she's been trained to take on more responsibilities, and I've been waiting to see what happens. This Sunday, she officially introduced me to Chuck Pierce, who is the president of our church organization, and whom I've only known by proximity. Then, yesterday she called me because she's working on a job description for me. It looks like I'll be working with her about 25-30 hours a week; coordinating the nursery, and helping with other stuff for the children's ministry.

I'm really excited to have a job, especially one like this, where the hours work with the kid's school schedule, and the fun of working at church with her.

Last night I made a fake turkey dinner with a roasted chicken, cranberry sauce, box stuffing, green beans and gravy. It was really good. I felt stuffed afterwards, just like I do on Thanksgiving. Those flavors just require eating a little extra. I resisted the urge to make a pumpkin pie. That can happen another night.

On the Abigail front, Abby's teacher called last week to let me know that Abby had taken all the tests with the school counselor, and was now going to be allowed to be tested for dyslexia. They do a bunch of IQ tests to see if the child's intelligence is far enough ahead of their reading skills to warrant dyslexia testing. So, now we know what we've always known...Abby is a smart cookie. I have been very pleased to see her reading signs and things for fun while we are out doing things. It is going to be great to see her get the help she needs to move on with reading.

I've been using coconut oil for all kinds of skin issues lately. I got an ant bite the other day, and I put coconut oil on it, and the pain went away. I also rub it on Abby's eczema, and that always clears right up, and when Sam stepped on an ant mound accidentally in sandals and got about 11 bites, I rubbed it on his feet and put socks on them. His bites are numerous enough that I keep doing it every night, and before he went to school today. I think it makes a big difference. I know that Aunt Luanne had a coconut oil business of some kind. What happened with that? I had to buy my coconut oil at the natural foods store for $15 for a 16oz container. There's some money in that stuff...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi! Glad to see that things are moving along on the job front! I know you'll do a great job in the kid's ministry, and it fits right in with where your family is too! How nice! Also great to hear that Abby is getting that final testing. Yes, she IS a smart cookie! (As are all your darling children.) And it's interesting to hear about your success with the coconut oil. I wonder if it would help psoriasis (sp)? We have a lady here at work with that complaint. Maybe I'll pass on your alternative remedy and see if it helps her! Well, thank you for the great report on the family. Love you!

ShackelMom said...

Yes, it is great stuff for so many things, including Psoriasis. Ed applies it to his lip when he feels a cold sore coming on, and takes three table spoons a day, and it clears up fast. Good for dry skin too! I am sorry you have to pay so much! The people who were selling it overseas didn't buy from us for very long, so our project fizzled out. I can still buy it here cheaper than there. I get a second grade virgin oil for less than two dollars a quart. Too bad it is so heavy and hard to send!

The job sounds great! I love the updates and seeing pictures of the kids!

Heidi said...

Thanks for the comments. There is a lady in my Bible Study group with psoriasis, and I mentioned it to her last night. Maybe she'll try it and find some relief.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi and all. If you might recall I was tested by a school psychologist around the 4th or 5th grade because I got confused on how to fill in the little boxes on some type of standardized test. I was one line off on all my answers and the test results showed that my parents had a child in their household with the IQ of a moron! So I had a special session with a mild, soft spoken, child psychologist who tested me with games of all sorts. Will, my results came back saying I was close to a genius. Which the dictinary defines as having "uncommon powere of intellect". My parents must have been relieved after getting the second result. I suspect that they were concerned about having a mornon around the house for many years to come :-)! After getting back the second opiniion their comment was that they figured I was somewhere between a moron and a very bright child :-). So when I hear of a kid getting tested I smile and even laugh a little. The testing memory is still quite vivid in my mind. Love you all very much. Grandpa aka "almost a moron":-).

Gretchen said...

That's funny Grandpa!

abuelo said...

Fun reading God's Little Moron story. Wonder who had that happen to them? I am Abuelo on these blogs, and that never happened to me. And I don't see who put up the comment. Can someone let us all know who Grandpa was in this instance?
Not, you understand, that I have not been called a moron. But never on a test.
It is to be noted that this family has inherited some pretty good IQ numbers. Both from our sides and from those marrying in. Amazing to me to watch all of this going on.

Mary said...

Heidi,
Congratulations on the job, Heidi. Testing is very overrated. Emily couldn't test in to the GATE program for gifted children. Good thing Harvard didn't know that!
I really enjoy the blog!
Aunt Mary