Friday, April 24, 2009

Charlotte's Babies

Every Spring, there is a foolproof sign that Spring has sprung. It is the presence of thousands of baby spiders floating through the air on their little strands of web. When I go outside, I end up with at least two or three draped across me, and the little spiders are somewhere on my person. The street lamps and signs have web caught on them; they're all over the place.

I immediately think of Charlotte's Web, where her babies are born at the end, and they all float away. But I've never lived in a place where it happened to me before. Our house is in a neighborhood that is set in the middle of open land. I love it, because I love being out of the city. And, apparently, floating baby spiders are part of life in the bigger outdoors.

3 comments:

Jenn Pete said...

How wonderful! Must be different spiders on this side of town. Keep your eyes open, I'm sure one or two will stay nearby :)

Gretchen said...

I love this in theory but in reality it creeps me out to think of hundreds/thousands of little spiders flying through the air..... whimsical yet eeby jeeby inducing. ;0)

Mom said...

Yes, GG's sentiments are about the same as mine! But it does sound whimsical and how fun to have it remind you of a great childhood book!
Have a good week! Love you!