Friday, May 01, 2009

Chores

I went to the healing team to be prayed for last Wednesday. Before I came in, they prayed to find out what the Lord had for me that day. One of the pictures a lady got was of me trudging slowly up a hill like I was carrying a big burden. So she said that she thought I was carrying a burden that I wasn't supposed to be, or doing something that I used to have grace for, but didn't anymore.

Casting my mind about for what that could mean, I realized that the only thing in my life that made me feel that way was the laundry and housework. Its just never done, and whenever I ask the kids to help, not much happens. A couple of weeks ago I had a dream where I was telling the kids to do chores, and they just turned around and wandered away. I woke up really mad.

The ladies didn't really think it was about housework. I guess most moms feel overwhelmed. However, when I told Will about it, he said immediately, "It's about the laundry!" Ah! I was right in the first place. So he proceeded to confront me on my lack of delegation with all the household chores, and told me some stories about how bad his chore load was at age 11. Bad.

I have something in me that believes that the kids should have fun, and not have to work. But on the other hand, I definately don't want to raise a bunch of entitled mess makers. So, I got to work on a chore chart. I made a list of all the things I don't like to clean, and places where other people make more messes than me. I assigned each girl three jobs per day, and Sam two. Everyone helps unload the dishwasher, and then each girl has to help either before or after dinner. Then all three have one other job per day. I've got the girls cleaning their bathroom, mopping the kitchen floor, doing their own laundry, and tidying and vacuuming two main rooms per week. Sam has less demanding jobs, but they still meet a need.

So, this week was the first in the new regime. On another chart, I have money value attached to each job, and some others as well, so that everyone can fill in squares when they do their work. At the end of the month they count up their money and get their allowance.

It seems to be working. I like spending time with one girl per night making dinner. I get to teach them about cooking, and they get to chop things. Or stir things. Or empty the trash. The house is cleaner than usual, and the laundry isn't out of control. Pretty nice. Now I just have to enforce it all. I told them that if they complained they wouldn't get paid for the job. The burden is lighter. Thank you, Lord! You make my path straight-not uphill!

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

Yeah Heidi!! You go! I'm glad you are getting some help with the housework. You deserve it. =0)

Luke said...

I think it's really good that you're drawing your kids into the daily responsibilities. I hope they feel rewarded by the improvement to the house that they're making. Being a contributor is key to belonging, so if you think of it that way, you're making your kids feel that much more like part of the household's "whole." (c:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!!Poppa

Grandma Seelye said...

Yes brilliant! And I like Luke's comments too. Love you.

Heidi said...

Thanks all! The house is cleaner than usual. So nice.

Anonymous said...

You are travelling a path all households experience. Without regular attention stuff piles up. Can't be avoided. I like your system. Remember the treat bucket that caused all those cavities :-)?Love you and yours. Dad

Mom said...

I love it. How's it going now? It sounds like a well-oiled machine! How I remember those days! :-) It's such a liberating feeling to come up with a plan that gives you hope... and really works! Yeah!