Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Security Device Epidemic

Twice in the last three days Will or I have made a purchase and the sales people forgot to remove the security device. When we came home with our new digicam and the chip to go with it, the chip was encased in a heavy plastic box. As I watched Will hit it with a hammer, pry it with a screwdriver, attack it with his Very Sharp Pocketknife, and eventually just pull with all his might on the little crack that he made, I reflected that it certianly would be difficult to do that in the store. The device did send off an alarm as we left, but no one seemed to worry; they just waved us out the door. We never did get the thing open. We just slid the little chip out of the slit in the side.

Today I brought home a new garment, and as I excitedly went to wash it to get ready to use it, I realized that the clasp thing was still there. (By the way, no alarm went off when I left the store.) I was really irritated because the store is 7 miles away, and I have to go back there to get it removed. I called the manager and told her the problem; she said she'd give me a 10% discount for my trouble. That covers the gas, I guess. I decided not to try to remove it myself, since cloth is less durable than plastic. And Will's Really Sharp Pocketknife might do more harm than good.

5 comments:

Nathan said...

That's crazy! It would be comforting to think that it's deterring more theft than it's annoying paying customers... but it's hard to tell. That waving people through thing makes you wonder if they ever do anything as a response to the alarms.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BULLSEYE said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.